Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cupcakes!

I had my first "jumbo" cupcake experience this month. I was asked to make 3 dozen for a bridal shower. The cute bride (who was one of my Mia Maids from church - 13 years ago!) loves cupcakes. She is getting married in a tropical paradise so they wanted hot colors.

I decided to try and fill the cupcakes since they are so huge. It worked! I made Chocolate with Chocolate mousse filling, iced with chocolate butter cream *YUM*, Vanilla with strawberries and cream filling, iced with whipped cream icing, and Pina Colada cupcakes (a family recipe that has coconut, pineapple and pecans in it), no filling in this one, iced with coconut cream whipped icing.

I spent a couple of days making accents for each one too. I used fondant to make flowers, leaves and strawberries. The funnest part was embossing the fondant. I decided to try and use my Cuttlebug embossing folders (one craft spilling over into another), and it worked. I put the fondant in the folder and just rolled over it with my rolling pin. Too cute!!

All in all, I was pleased with the way they turned out.


At the shower, we displayed them on my 3 tier stand.


And here is the cute bride to be - totally thrilled that she had cupcakes at her shower.


The only thing that didn't go as I thought it would was which cupcake was most popular. I really thought the chocolate would go first, but actually everyone went ga-ga for the Pina Colada - go figure!

It was a fun project and now I feel confident doing them again.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

OurLittleFamily said...

Those are so adorable. Yum...just thinking about the Pina Colada cupcakes..yum... I can still remember how yummy the Pina Colada cakes are! YUM!

Susan said...

Maria my wonderful sweet adorable friend, can I have that pina colada recipe?? Just kidding but they look and sound amazing. What Mia Maid is getting married. I didn't recognize her at all. Those cupcakes look so good. You are such a talented lady. For my next B-day can I request a pina colada cupcakes? please oh please oh please...hee hee hee

Tami Melancon said...

You are so amazing!!! I love them they are so beautiful.